, which would have effectively banned its use in the United States.
US Criminal Court Judge Carl J. Nichols in Washington
issued an order in a lawsuit filed by TikTok’s owner, ByteDance, more than a month after a similar ban from
US judge Wendy Beetlestone
, Pennsylvania, for the same restrictions that were scheduled to take effect on November 12, in a lawsuit filed by some TikTok users.
On September 27, Nichols separately stopped the Commerce Department order, in which the ministry asked Google and Apple app stores to block downloading the app by new users.
A spokesperson for TikTok said, “I am pleased that the court has positioned with us and has granted a preliminary precaution.”
Nichols, who was appointed by President Donald Trump last year, said the Commerce Department had “likely exceeded” its legal authority to issue a TikTok ban, adding that it had “acted in an arbitrary and volatile manner by not considering clear alternatives.”
The Commerce Department said it would “vigorously defend” Trump’s August executive order that authorized the restrictions and said it “fully complies with the law and advances legitimate interests of national security, and the government will continue to comply with the orders.”
On Friday, the Trump administration refused to grant ByteDance a new extension to Trump’s August order requiring it to give up US TikTok assets, but talks will continue, Reuters reported.
The Treasury said late on Friday that the government was “engaging with ByteDance to complete the divestment and other steps needed to resolve national security risks.”
The Trump administration claims that TikTok poses a threat to national security, as the Chinese government can obtain American users’ personal data, while TikTok – which has more than 100 million users in the United States – denies the allegations.
ByteDance, under pressure from the US government, has been in talks for months to finalize a deal with Walmart and Oracle to transfer US TikTok assets to a new entity.