Bartomeu confirms Barcelona’s duty to Messi pending his personal decision

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Barcelona President Josep Maria Bartomeu confirmed on Tuesday that the Spanish club has a “duty” to renew the contract of his Argentine star, Lionel Messi, in light of reports of the possibility of his departure at the end of his contract in 2021.

“We usually do not disclose our negotiations with the players, but it is obvious that we have a duty to renew his contract. He is the best player in history and he still has many years in football,” Bartomeo said in comments on the Catalan radio station RAC1.

The radio “Cadena Ser” had indicated last week that negotiations on renewing the contract between the Catalan club and the 33-year-old Argentine star had stopped, and that the latter was considering leaving the club in the summer of next year, after he was tired of the current administration’s failure to build a competitive team And get tired of leaks that leave the club and distort its image.

“I think Messi is comfortable. He has said many times that he wants to end his career in Barcelona,” Bartomeu added, a club that has not known the best player in the world six times, other than in his professional career.

Bartomeu, who will be leaving his post in the presidential elections scheduled for 2021, confirmed that he sees Messi “retired to Barcelona under the supervision of a new president, because he will renew his contract for an additional period.”

The Barcelona president revealed that he had spoken to Messi on Saturday, explaining, “I talk to the players permanently. Not only with Liu, but also with the group, especially with the leaders. In addition, there are many things that we have to talk about recently.”

Before achieving a straightforward 4-1 victory over Villarreal in the last stage of the final stage, Barcelona knocked out three times in their previous four matches.

The champion of the past two seasons is four points behind leaders Real Madrid with only four stages remaining for the Mohs, leaving his coach Quique Sitien under pressure.

But Bartomeu confirmed that the latter would remain at the head of the technical staff, saying, “Citin will definitely continue with us. I am very happy with the development that we are showing despite the draws.”

“I do not regret giving up (former coach Ernesto) Valverde (early this year). The team needed a moral dose. Setien understands our style, has breathed fresh breaths and new ideas and is making great efforts.”

But he saw that “the coaches need to achieve the results of course,” referring to the goals of his team by saying “If we cannot win the title + No Liga +, which will be difficult, there is the Champions League in August.”

He revealed that Barcelona is trying to go back to the final price of the continental competition against Italian Napoli (1-1 back) at home, “We are fighting for the return match at Camp Nou. The European Union (UEFA) understands that if things are normal, we can play there”.

Four matches remain in the second leg of the continental final, scheduled to take place on August 7 and the eighth of it, before the remaining stages of the competition (quarter-to-final) with a mini-tournament system are held in Lisbon, between August 12 and 23.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Loading...